From:
Brenda Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 00:57:42 -0700
Actually, Tracy, you just proved the point I was trying to make, although much more succinctly than I did!!  You are right, and I agree!!

Love,
Bren

"Science" is usually proven wrong by...other scientists. It's on ongoing process of testing, observation, discovery, etc. Or, at least, it should be. If you've read Taubes then you know how human bias and other circumstances ($$, etc) can get in the way of the scientific method and really screw things up (sometimes from inside the scientific community, sometimes from without, sometimes both).

Regardless, "science" isn't a thing, it's a methodology. Sometimes, hypotheses are proven wrong and that's a good thing -- it's the whole point of scientific method. It does not follow that because "science" has sometimes been proven wrong that therefore "science" is always wrong, or probably wrong, or isn't valid. "Science" is neither always right, nor always wrong.