From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 22:18:39 +0900
Just like to bring up a point. Sometimes hear here the statement that
paleo people only ate fruit in the fall, and that that was what
fattened them up for the winter. I doubt that theory.

Well, two weekends ago I took my daughters to the mountains near here
and we found a meadow filled with wild berries. The Japanese call them
'snake-berries'. They are a kind of wild raspberry, not bad at all.
There are several different wild raspberries I have found around here,
with different ripe seasons.

Last weekend we went to a local mulberry grove I know and ate
mulberries, the first of the season. Next week they should be in full
fruit. Also this weekend my garden produced it's first strawberries,
and in a few weeks the domestic red raspberries will be ripe. The wild
cherries look to be about ripe too, maybe next week. In late June and
July the blackberries will be ripe, and the plums. Late in the summer
the peaches and apples will come in.

Anyway, my point is that fruits are available throughout the frost free
months, even fairly early, in the spring. When you look at the art
objects of the paleolithic, you see the immensely fat woman statuettes.
Probably they were made from life.