From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 15:46:03 -0500
Tom Barber wrote:

>  When we consume the typical 95 grams of daily protein,
> calcium is lost from the body, even on a very high calcium diet. Other
> substances, taken in excess, also lead to calcium loss. For example,
> phosphorus (often found in sodas), as well as caffeine, sugar, fats, salt
> and alcohol can all become significant bone robbers. "

Tom, I think what they are missing here is the acid-alkaline factor.  Loren
Cordain pointed out in "The Paleo Diet" that the acid-alkaline balance is the
main factor that determines calcium loss.  He said that if you eat plenty of
fruits and vegetables, all of which produce alkaline loads in the body, you
won't have to worry about excessive dietary acid (the most acid-forming foods
are grains, dairy products, legumes, meat, fish and eggs) causing bone loss.

L'shalom,

Marishka