From:
Jeff Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:31:11 -0700
> Only glycemic load ( the antithesis of fat consumption) has been linked to
> heart disease in long term studies.  Some postulate that increased fat
> consumption, a result of the invention of the railroad (1840s)and
> refrigeration (1900), made possible the incredible increase in lifespan
> between 1850 and 1950 - a time in which medical and hygienic advances
> contributed little statistically to average lifespan.  Even the daily
> serving of fresh fruits and vegetables we take for granted had to wait for
> the invention of the automobile and the resulting "truck farms"(1920s).
>
> Ray Audette

Are we to assume that the normal lifespan of Homo is approx. 35-40
years(high fat, arctic cultures) and the advent of fresh vegetables and
fruit transport has taken us into this new realm of excessive age(over 40)
and it's consequences.

My great grandfather, born in 1867 was a voracious gardener. He worked hard
and the family ate all food from his 1/2 acre garden. Only meat was
purchased from the market. My dad told me he remembered his preference for
the "blubber" at the end of the roasts and he preferred a pipe under the
apple tree for dessert.  He lived 96 years and never once saw a doctor. As a
matter of fact, dad said he never saw him sick. All his children lived to be
between 93 and 103.

I would expect that work hard,  vegetables and  "blubber" will get you far.
Dad chose the high carb, grain diet and had his first heart attack at 70.
So much for genetics.......... I chose the fat.

Jeff