From:
Elizabeth Beeton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:23:09 -0600
David,

My husband is an Easter'n'Christmas low-carber.  He does the plan most of
the time, forgets carb counts of (off-plan) things he'd really rather eat
than not (bbq sauce), makes exceptions for things like restaurant salads
that come with four or five croutons (eats 'em), eats processed meat, cheats
mildly about once a week, and wonders why he doesn't lose very fast.  Other
than telling him carb counts of things or answering his questions as to
whether a food is "bad" or "good," I don't interfere or try to influence his
decisions.  I buy the groceries for my needs (which also suit his if he's
really low-carbing), I buy a few LC things for him I can't have (cheese,
beef sticks, mayo, salad dressing), and he can eat from there or he can go
forage elsewhere.  He is an adult and the only people I want to raise are
the people who come out of my womb.

I think it's striking that she has not read the book.  It tells me that she
really isn't as motivated as she thinks she is for any reason.  In addition,
Neanderthin is a helluva way to start dieting if the whole low-carb thing is
foreign to her to begin with.

My suggestion is that she read Atkins New Diet Revolution, Protein Power, or
Sugarbusters to get started.  In my opinion, it's a lot easier to make the
transition from one of the well-established low-carb regimens than it is to
go from SAD to paleo--especially for a reluctant newbie.  Atkins also goes
indepth as to *why* it works.

I would further suggest that you do with your life what you are going to do,
and let her figure out what she wants to do--even if it takes a while and/or
you are uncomfortable with that.

Elizabeth