Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:18:00 -0400
Susan Carmack wrote:

> Hi Ilya,
>
>  Supplementing with magnesium has
> >removed both leg cramps and restless legs for me and for a friend of
> >mine
>
> I will probably try it. Thanks! But I would really like to get to the cause
> of the deficiency. Because if it is gluten or another allergen, it can
> cause degeneration...
> Also, most supplements seem to be using a lot of fillers like
> microcrystaline cellulose, better known as trees. How paleo is tree?
> A lot of supplements say on the bottle gluten free, lactose free, soy free,
> etc. but do not list WHAT they are made of. (In Canada).
> Aren't most supplements made of soy, shells and grapefruit pith? Products
> that would otherwise be garbage?
> I would rather eat real food than have to resort to pills. It's like
> admitting defeat.
I have developed these problems BEFORE I went paleo (or even low carb). Since
magnesium is one of those things I almost never miss taking I don't really
know how much supplementation I still require. Potassium, on the other hand,
I rarely supplement with (though right now I have been taking it for about a
month every day). I honestly don't see much of a difference w/respect to it.
As for pills, I usually get the ones that say free of wheat, gluten, soy, dairy,
blah blah blah... I also get the ones in the gelatin capsules rather than pills
so I can avoid coating materials.

Ilya