From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:19:40 -0700
>Relatively cheap protein sources are chicken, turkey, eggs...

Here's my 2 cents worth, pun intended.  So-called "cheaper cuts" of beef are
great if slow-cooked.  If you have a crock-pot, use it; if you don't, find a
good one for cheap.  The best place?  A thrift store, my friend.  I spend
next to nothing on just about everything thanks to thrifting.  But I
digress.

Whole chicken is cheaper than cuts; crock-cook a whole chicken and you'll
get both good meat and to-die-for chicken broth.  Don't like the skin?  Feed
it to your dog and save money there, too.

Don't be afraid to look at the discount veggie bin at your grocery store;
they may not look pretty but the riper they are, the more nutritioun fruits
and vegetables pack so this is a win-win.  If you found, say, bruised
squashes you could bake them and then blend with chicken broth and spices
and have a soup so good you'll cry. Just remember, vegetables all look the
same when you're done, know what I mean?

Here in Denver, they put food inserts in the Wednesday paper AND they come
in the mail on Tuesday.  I plan what I'm eating according to what's on sale.
  It's par for the course to find chicken breasts at BOGO (buy one, get one)
and other cuts of meat at or near half price, too.  Stock up!  My guess is
that most stores have the nifty "amount saved" feature on your receipt; it's
not unusual for me to walk out with a veritable feast-o-rama for 35% less
than you'd normally pay.  I live alone so going to one of those discount
chains (i.e. Sam's Club) doesn't work because it seems everything's big
enough for the Brady Bunch if not a whole %#$@ tribe but I have friends who
say you can get meat there for ultra-cheap and meat freezes; might wanna try
that.

Also worth noting; eating this way vastly improves your immune response so a
little more on food means a lot less on doctor visits and/or medications;
I've had nothing more than one runny nose in six years.

Enjoy good health!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO