From:
Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:53:52 -0600
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, gerard farrell wrote:

> Todd Moody wrote:
> >>Thus, on a ketogenic diet one can
> >>be insulin resistant without it being problematic (as long as
> >>one's protein intake isn't too high)<<
>
> Todd, can you explain why a high intake of protein can cause problems?

About 58% of protein is converted to glucose anyway.  In
addition, there appears to be a metabolic bottleneck in the
body's ability to utilize protein, so that if too much is
consumed, the insulin response is similar to that of carbs.  This
is in fact why Sears claims that 35g is the maximum amount of
protein that should be consumed at a meal.  This is based on
Lemon's work on protein utilization.  I don't know how strict
this rule is, but the basic idea seems sound.

So, I guess if you eat 35g of protein, about 19g gets turned to
glucose, and 16g are left for actual protein-building.  These
processes are slow enough that if you consume more it is likely
to be stored as fat, since there's not much to be done with it.
This, at least, is how I understand the matter.

35g of protein comes to about five ounces of lean meat, by the way.

Todd Moody

  Would these findings be any different on a low carb intake? Was Lemon's
work based on low-carb or SAD? The Inuit stayed thin on a high protein diet.
How do you explain that?
     `