From:
Dean Pistilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:36:06 +1100
I had 2 questions:
1) when you (and others) refer to yams, what exactly do you mean?? I
can't seem to find a definite vegetable called a 'yam' other than forms
of sweet potato which you say are different.

2) If polysaccharides and di's are all broken down into simple sugars
anyway, how can it be that only starches restore glycogen levels??

I have to disagree here and say that from others and my own experience,
glycogen seems to be replenished from any carb. I read of one body
builder who was basically low cab, who only ate one high carb meal a day
consisting of bananas,raisins etc. so restore glycogen levels. That was
his theory anyway. On the other hand, like sheryl, i came into paleo
through SCD which cuts out all starches and di's completely.. and people
seem to be surviving well on this diet for years. For myself, if i pig
out on fruit or honey or real yogurt i don't want to see another carb
for a while.
So i can't see how starches whether root vegetables or
other(grains,potato etc.) are necessary.. ?

reg.,
Dean, Oz.

>>From:    Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: paleo fitness
>>I find that fruit doesn't help me like starchy vegetables do -- yams,
>>sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, etc. I eat about 1/2 large yam or
equivalent for dinner, sometimes more. For breakfast and lunch, I stick
to protein and fat and not much else -- eggs, turkey salad, chicken,
steak, etc. But without some complex carbs for dinner, I don't do well.
If I do not have some real complex starchy veggies, I get very strong
cravings and feel tired and shagged out. Then I end up cheating.
It has been discussed and I got it from this list,  that glycogen stores
arenot replenished with fructose, so I guess that accounts for the fact
thatfruit does not seem to satisfy my carb impulse.