From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:00:38 +0100

The structure of enzymes is slightly denatured by freezing according to scientific reports, however they are not destroyed, at least not instantly. I suppose much lower temperatures are needed. I've also heard it claimed by some RVAFers that freezing meats for more than a few weeks does damage enzymes over time, but this is just anecdotal.

Re bacteria/pathogens:- People who eat raw meats invariably find, sooner or later, that  the concerns re bacteria/parasites have no real basis. I don't think one can exactly guarantee the absence of all so-called "dangerous" bacteria without cooking at extremely high temperatures. I should add re the salmonella bacterium mention that a study showed that salmonella is present in 38% of US households, yet you don't find massive salmonella epidemics going on  - same goes for e coil etc.. In other words, the presence of such bacteria is not relevant to any particular heath-problem, it's more of a question of the environment rather than the pathogen .
Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/