From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:44:52 -0400
> From: Adele Stratton <[log in to unmask]>, who wrote:

> "I also have been taking 1-2 TBLS flaxseed oil per day since June, and
am not sure whether to discontinue that or not.  It doesn't appear to
hurt my weight loss.  But I think flax is a grain, and therefore, perhaps
I'd be better off  not taking it.  But the oil seems to have helped my
psoriasis."

Adele, you really should look at Artemis Simopoulos's THE OMEGA PLAN . . .
it offers very convincing evidence that humans need omega 3 essential
fatty acids in at least a 1:4 (if not 1:1) ratio with omega 6 fatty acids.
Fatty ocean fish (salmon; mackerel; sardines), greens (a la kale, spinach,
red lettuce, arrugula), walnuts, wild game (that doesn't feed off of
farmers' corn fields), canola oil, flax seed (including flax seed oil),
and The Country Hen eggs (because the chickens are fed flax seed)
are the basic sources available to most of us.  I would recommend that
you both read THE OMEGA PLAN and continue to use flax seed (both the oil
and grinding seeds in your coffee mill, adding them to your salads or
whatever).  The omega 3's are not only good for your skin, but they also
help to regulate your blood pressure, as well as to stabilize your blood
lipids.  Simopoulos is very sympathetic to the caveman diet, and she
recommends a daily routine of a moderate amount of fat (with a favorable
omega 3 / omega 6 ratio), a lot of fruits and vegetables, and modest
amounts of legumes, flesh, and whole grains.  She deviates from
Neanderthin in recommending the legumes (beans; peas) and a moderate
consumption of whole grains.  She observes that the type of saturated
fat found in dairy products differs in chemical structure from the
saturated fat found in meat, with the former seeming to be much more
correlated with ill-effects on health that the latter.  Her reviews of the
scientific literature on diet and health are extensive and highly
readable; her scientific credentials are first-rate.

Cheers!

Gregg C.