Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 12:30:49 -0700
This is not the most scientific request in the world, but I'm
interested in hearing other people's observations of what goes into the
lean vs. chubby state of mammals today. While I realize rat metabolism
differs greatly from human metabolism, maybe there are some bits of
observable wisdom to be had.

When an animal in the wild starts putting on weight, what foods is it
eating? What's happening to the light levels... do animals put pounds
on around the time that light levels start waning, a signal to
approaching winter? Is sweet fruit more likely to be available during
the time animals put on weight? I do recall tales of a particularly
chubby, but glossy-coated, squirrel living in a certain avocado tree in
Southern California.

Any thoughts along these lines would be appreciated... including
comments about what's going on when weight loss occurs following
hibernation (extra activity is presumed-- but also days are getting
longer, etc.).

Donna