From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:31:04 +0100
Erik wrote:
> As far as I know, it was the bread-lobby of Sweden that deliberately
formulated a campaign to make like it came from some official source .....

Your right here - I was one of the fooled and so was my husband who is a
doctor and should know. I think I'll blame it on him.

>since 1970 Sweden has drastically increased it's consumption of pasta with
only minor losses for the bread.
Yes, young people especially eat a lot of pasta. Often there is little else
but pasta on their plates.

> Eva! I'm also most surprised to hear you claim that wheat was not a common
crop in Sweden until the 1930s
The growong of wheat in Sweden slowly rose during the second half of the
19th century and around 1900 wheat was 5% of total cereal production and by
the end of 1920 it had risen to 15%. Before that it was mainly grown for the
gentry and believe it or not, for export. I was mainly considering what
impact wheat consumption could have had on our genes and it seems to me like
none. Since there are so many people out there on the Internet that have
their roots in Sweden I thought the information would be of interest to
others than us Swedes.

> barley is NOT gluten-free
Now, that's what I thought too. The strange thing is that I've read quite a
few times that it should be gluten-free but that's probably because barley
doesn't rise so willingly.
Eva