From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 19:04:03 +0200
At 14:26 2001-05-13 -1000, Don wrote:

>> same batch of bison. Just the first time I used a higher temperature.

Of course higher temperature makes for shorter time, but also the slice
thickness is impotant, and the thicker, the less influence has the temperature.
Frozen meat takes up some moist from the air, but as soon as it is a little
warm on the outside ths evaporates again. I do not think previously frozen
meat dries slower, rather the contrary, as the cells crack a bit so the water
inside can easier evaporate.
If some meat does not dry enough, I just put it in the dehydrator another
12 hours or so. I prefer thoroughly dried meat. I store it in the cabinet
above the fridge, that makes the last water go away, and it seem like the
warmth makes the meat "mature" a bit also. I seldom make pemmican of it.

- Hans