From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:55:42 -0800
i have no scientific understanding to back up what i am going to say  It
comes from my experience.
I have addison disease. it means my adrenal cortex is unable to produce the
hormones secreted by them. The number of those hormones are now estimated
to be 35 differentes ones. Most of them can be secreted by other glands but
some are essential and vital, Hydrocortisone (glucocorticoid) and
aldosterone ( mineral corticoid). the latter is the one in charge of keeping
the salts balance. Specially the balance of sodium between the intracellular
fluid and extracellular fluid. Without adequat production of aldosterone
your cells loose their sodium and  dehydrate to death.
The normal allopathic response to that situation is to recommand higher salt
intake .
I personally question this a lot for the 18 years that i got this condition
. I went thru periods of not salt at all to heavy salt intake ( allways
unrefined sea or rock salt).
I question this because i think the automatism to recomand an higher intake
of any nutrients that the body is lacking is short sighted. I think we might
even agravate the problem.
The problem here is too high elimination of sodium ,it might sound logical
to fill this container full of holes but obviously doesnt help repairing the
holes and even might aggravate the rusting of them.
If you take too much sodium your body have to create mechanisms to reduce
the level where the cells could become "sodium resistant" ( to make analogy
with the sugar thing, if you are familiar with it )

I have the feeling that my and mother  past high salt intake  have a lot to
do with the autoimmune process that made those adrenals cells unable to do
their job.

What i saw is that more i take sodium more i need it because i trigger more
elimination of sodium. Not taking salt at all is okay but after 2 months i
am getting a clear appeal for salty foods like dryseaweeds. I can't go for
long without salt mostly i think because of the impoverishment in minerals
of our modern foods. When i eat wild greens i don't have the same urge for
salt.
Finding the balance between those too extrems is what is needed. because i
eat salt by itself the regulation happens thru the sens of taste ,when mixed
with other foods it is a guarantee for too high intake.
Do you have to take cortisone and florinef for your hypoadrenalism?
By taking florinef the need for salt diminish.
jean-claude