From:
Theta Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:47:37 -0800
As I understand it, this is due to an [likely inherited] intolerance of
gluten (wheat, rye, oats, barley, etc.) and symptoms of the resulting
toxins include blisters in the mouth.  Have you tried not eating
glutens?  The anecdotal evidence suggests that if one eats other
vegetables (potatoes, rice, etc.) in lieu of gluten-containing foods,
the symptoms should abate and one should be able to gain health,
strength, etc.  This means the elimination of many grains from this
point forward.  I believe that rice and potato flour are okay.  Spelt
(less-hybridized form of wheat) has a more digestible form of gluten -
after symptoms are gone you might consider trying a little of this to
see if you get any reactions.

It probably goes without saying that gluten grains of the sort mentioned
are not, strictly speaking, paleolithic.  In my own diet I rarely eat
grains save an occasional small amount of rice.  A good substitute I've
found are raw (uncooked) yams (not Sweet Potatoes) - cut in thin discs -
the taste and bite is similar to carrot but not as sweet.  They provide
complex carbohydrates and reduce my cravings for grains.  I've found
them to be a great snack and include them with meals too.

Steroids (strong anti-inflammatory) may help temporarily remove the
symptom but will not relieve the cause.  A fairly radical change in diet
is the way to remove the cause.  If it were me I would not take a
steroid ("pushes" the toxins deeper into the tissues). OTC Anbesol is an
anesthetic (Benzocaine) which should ease any mouth pains associated
with the blisters - I might use this temporarily but only if the pain
were way "over the top."

There are support groups on the Internet for this condition that might
be helpful / educational.

Regards,

-=mark=-