From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:19:40 +1100
Hi Molly,

Coconut oil is considered quite healthful. A google search will turn
up hundreds of sites telling you all about its benefits (and trying
to sell you some). It is also a very good oil to cook with since
saturated fats are more stable when heated than polyunsaturated fats.
Olive Oil contains at least 10% PUFAs.

It's interesting to compare the fat profiles of various game and
domestic meats. The USDA database has nutrient breakdown of quite
a few game meats.

My research leads me to believe that in game meat for every gram
of saturated fat there is 1.3-1.5 grams of monounsaturated fat
and 0.5-1.0 grams of polyunsaturated fat.

Compare this with farmed meat. For every gram of saturated fat there
is 1 gram of monounsaturated fat and only 0.1 gram of polyunsaturated
fat.

So, to mimic the fat intake of paleolithic people, it is necessary
to either eat game meats (favoring the fatty bits) or to supplement
with MUFA and PUFA.

I also noted in my research that birds have a much lower amount
of saturated fats compared to MUFA and PUFA. So I try to address
the imbalance in farmed meat by eating more poultry... chicken,
duck, etc rather than using lots of vegetable oils.

Hope that helps!

 ...R.