From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:25:09 +0100

I've actually seen reconstructions of Palaeo huts(based on ones built c.60,000 years ago), in the region of what is now  eastern Austria. They were just branches held together with countless openings to the sky for rain to get in. Now, the ones I saw  were built in tepee--like fashion, more or less, so thatched roofs(which seem a rather too modern an invention, anyway!) were somewhat unlikely, but , who knows, maybe animal skins were used instead(or maybe there were no coverings).

Geoff

> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:35:37 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Early cooking
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Paleo Europeans were not "cave men" for the most part; they built huts, probably with thatched roofs, and kept a fire going pretty much continuously, as their descendants in Scotland and Ireland were still doing in the early 19th century.  No chimney hole; they just let the smoke drift out through the thatch.  They probably started hanging extra meat from the rafters to preserve it from canine attention.  (Definitely would have lasted longer if the dogs couldn't get at it.)  Afterward they would have noticed that, once it had been up there in the smoke for a while, it didn't rot.

With Windows Live, you can organise, edit, and share your photos.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/