From:
Richard Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:22:39 -0600
I recently read the book "The Beak of the Finch" and
it posits that evolution happens much faster that
previously thought.  At least small gene drifting does.
The major changes, such as lizard with scales-->bird
with feathers still take a long time.  Small changes
such as 1 millimeter in the size of finch's beaks
happens in one year!

It seems to me that the adaption to agriculture are only two
adaptions.
1. Lowering the allergic reaction to grains which is done
    by raising the threshold of the immune system.
2. Continue producing lactose after 3 years of
    age so milk can be assimilated. (did I get that right?)
(3.) Possible lowering of the insulin response
      to prevent excessive weight gain.
      This is more relevant to modern society
      than it is to early agriculture.

Mutation 1 is not a radical change, it is just a
small adjustment in a reaction that was already
a little bit of both.
Mutation 2 is again a small mutation to simply extend
the period of milk tolerance beyond the usual three
years to the whole life time.

So are these both "small genetic changes" or
are the "large" changes?  Is a significant percentage
of the world population able to tolerate
agricultural products just fine?  Is tolerance
the same as thriving?

This makes me
wonder just how much adaption Homo Sapiens
has had in the last 10,000 years to agriculture.
(Or in the case of my English descent, the last 2000)
If all started out like the Innuit, with severe diabetes
and other reactions to grains, then the adaption to where
we are now may have actually happened over just a few
short generations.  Basically, say %90 of the population
would have been chronically I'll in the first generation,
and the survivors in the next generation would already
be somewhat adapted.  Then in just a few generation
after that you are mostly adapted.  Maybe the forces
pushing toward agriculture, such as starvation, were
very strong.

This list tends to focus on individual case histories
where someone has been cured of chronic problems
by eating a Paleo diet.  Does any one have any cases
of people that ate a highly agricultural diet and lived to be
very old with no arthritis or other chronic problems?
Such a person would represent the result of 2000
or more years of adaptions successfully adapting to
agriculture.

Ah, if only you could get truly accurate and complete
population data!

Is the only way to arrive at a good individual diet
simple to experiment? (It has taken me 40 years
and I'm not there yet.)

R. Keene