From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:22:54 -0400
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:58:00 -0400, Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I've been consistently on this diet (very occasional variation with
>nuts, fruits, and fish) for a year. I eat as much fat as I feel I
>need (crave) from beef and pork.

That appears to be consistent with what i expect from my model
and observation of the stefansson experiment, inuit and others.
The very low energy of meat ("rabbit starvation") creates
cravings for fat.

Instead of adding the "industry"-type fat from beef or pork it may
be wise to add some beneficial fats.

It is not so obvious which one to choose. Just from plants can't be the
right way. Many frequently used (and cheap) plant fats are heavily processed
(filtered, heated, extracted with hexan, hydrogenated),
or from plants which are no real fat source, more a waste recycling.
To my astonishment, one saturated fat replacement study used oils like
cottonseed, soy, safflor an suchalike.

A very good reputation and some k-years test phase has olive oil.
And "extra vergine" tastes excellent.
I personally like *very* much the taste of fresh flax and hemp oils
(these are omega-3 wizards too).
Nut oils are expensive but in omega 3, taste and composition superb.

Sunflower tastes good also, is very high in Vitamin E but alas
(like safflor) abnormal high in omega 6. Needs careful alternation with
some omega 3 wizards. Similar is sesame oil.
N.B. Vitamin E is notoriously low in high meat diets.

I think some of these can be good alternatives to pork and beef fat.

I tried to gather what made up the bad reputation of saturated fats
in my memory. The paleodiet forum was a fine source.
Well, i stumbled over this one:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9811&L=paleodiet&P=R488
which may be an inspiration for you.

regards