Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 08:41:38 -0400
Lori asked:
2.  Also, where on earth can I get coconut butter at a decent price?
The local health food store sells it for $9.00 for 8 ounces!
Deffinately not within our budget!'

My reply:
If you buy the organic coconut butter, you could just use less of it, to
make it last longer.  It is a very high quality product and will keep for
prolonged periods, out of the refrigreator!

Omega Nutrition also makes a larger economy size coconut butter that is
twice as large but does not cost twice as much.  It is a very good product.
I would not recommend the Spectrum cocout oil; it is highly refined.
However, Spectrum does make an unrefined palm oil that retails for $8 for a
2-pound tub.  It is labeled, "Spectrum Organic Shortening," kind of silly,
since it consists solely of mechanically pressed palm oil.  It is not
hydrogenated, and is not a health hazard.  I believe that they sell it as
shortening, as an alternative to Crisco type products.   Palm oil has many
health benefits, which Dr. Mary Enig, PH.D., and author chemists have
written about.  You could use that as a substitute for vegetable oils, and
as a lower cost alternative to coconut butter.  Olive oil may be used as
well, in place of coconut butter in many, but not all, recipes.

Since it is not necessary to cook food in large amounts of fat, and not
desirable for everyone, you might consider buying a very high quality
product, then using it in more modest amounts.

Lori asked:
>>3.  I use a little coconut milk, pure juice, etc.  I add
mango, berries, apples, ocassionally a banana - whatever I have on
hand.  Is this too much fruit?  I don't know which fruits are high in
carbs.  I haven't really been counting fruit carbs because I feel my dd
needs them.

My reply:
It is not always necessary to count carbs or severely limit fruit. However,
if you want to make a lower glycemic smoothie, you could focus on berries,
peaches, nectarines, and apricots, which are lower on the glycemic index and
lower in calorier per serving than bananas and mangoes.  Or combine a
portion of a banana with a larger portion of low glycemic fruit.  Also,
consider, if you don't like eggs, you might want to try a burger, piece of
chicken, turkey, or leftover fish for breakfast, with fibrous vegetables, or
vegetables and a serving of low glycemic fruit.

Cheers!

Rachel