From:
Tracy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:21:10 -0400
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> Re vitamin C/carbohydrates:- I keep on hearing about that link from zero-carbers but no one ever provides a decent scientific study confirming this.

If I can find it, I'll send it forth. Basically, it's that glucose and
Vit C compete for the same cellular uptake path. The more glucose in
your diet, the less Vit C you're getting/the less glucose in your diet,
the less Vit C you require in your diet. It's not so much that one isn't
consuming enough C, it's that they're consuming too many foods that
compete with it for absorption.

> Anyway, the vitamin C issue is one of the least worrying aspects of going in for cooked zero-carb. There's a much bigger worry:- the fact that animal foods(fats in particular) produce far more heat-created toxins after cooking(such as advanced glycation end products etc.) than any other foods, thus speeding up the incidence of various age-related diseases.

Does this happen in the absence of carbs? Or perhaps: if the body isn't
overloaded dealing with high insulin levels and other factors, does this
have much of an effect? Have the effects of AGE's, etc, been tested in
people NOT eating SAD, etc? Are those age-related diseases correlated
with AGE's in the diet, or caused by them? What else is a factor? (It's
already been shown that high levels of insulin are a huge factor in
various age-related diseases, for instance)