From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:56:33 +0200
Ken wrote:
>On Mon, 17 May 1999 20:43:58 -0400, Todd Moody  wrote:
>>>
>>> Flax seeds   18.1% w-3,  4.3% w-6
>>> Canola Oil    9.3% w-3, 20.3% w-6
>>> Butternuts    8.7% w-3, 33.7% w-6
>>> Walnuts       6.8% w-3, 31.8% w-6

>>Of these, only the last two are considered paleo.  More potent
>>sources are the marine oils of fatty cold-water fish: salmon,
>>mackerel, sardines, tuna.

Paleo eating is an attempt to reconstruct a diet as it was for very
many generations, with the goal to achieve the proper nutrition
composition, we are adapted to.
Since salmons, mackerels, sardines, tuna are not jumping around
in our million year long natural habitat - the african savanne -
can we consider them "paleo"?
We can do so for nuts, brains and herbs.

To the topic: "cheap and plentiful"
For me personally, flax-seed (and its oil) is unbeatable,
superb in taste and composition, and pleasant to eat.

Brains are a best source and should realy be cheap too,
if someone can force him or herself
to eat them in quantity - just as our anchestors are supposed to
have done it (supposed by some scientists).

"Tons" of green herbs will not only support a proper w-3:w-6 fat
ratio, but also are a superb supply of vitamin a,e,c,b's,
calcium , iron and kalium (several 100 grams needed per day).

Since all polyunsaturated fats -like w-3 and w-6-
are sensitive to heat and deteriorate easily,
freshnes (and eating crude) should be an important
factor. Whereever they come from: herbs - fish - brains or flax.

>Not only that, but fish oils have w-3 in the form of EPA.
Like brains.

>The advantage of this is that it doesn't need to be converted from

>ALA into EPA.
>That conversion uses an enzyme that is also used to covert LA into

>GLA, and so
>the w-3 in the above seeds "competes" for the enzyme with the

>LA->GLA
>conversion.
As a rule, the body's enzymatic systems adapt to certain requirements
by rebuilding the proper liver cells and/or enzyme amounts within
several days. Since there *are* many people living without ever
eating the ready made w-3 fats (EPA/DHA), because of not eating
seafood or brains, I would consider the enzymatic systems as
sufficient.
But it should be a good idea to keep the supply of ALA regular and

constant, for that reason,
to maintain ones enzymatic systems up and working.

If you don't aim for rich quantity, but for ready made
available EPA/DHA then fish and brain won't need your
enzymatic systems.

regards

Amadeus

---