From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:30:49 MST
I'll answer all questions/criticisms in one post.

I've been using stevia for nearly two years.  I use it more than the other
sweetener.  Stevia is good to my tastebuds, but when I have company over or
something, I use OptiSweet since it lacks stevia's slight bitter edge.

As for Splenda, it was good to see the response.  Thanks especially to Ben
for the technical info.  I plan to do a story on Splenda for the LCG
newsletter at some point, so I need to do some research.  It does scare me
somewhat.  Still, I wonder if it isn't a little less evil than aspartame.  I
don't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole!

I'm curious; 500-700 kcal of carbohydrates equals how many grams?  I don't
know if that's close to what I eat a day or not since I count total grams
minus fiber grams.  The figure stated above sounds a bit like French to me.
I may eat what you think is correct.

>I think, if you answer sweet cravings
>with non- (or low-) carbohydrate food,
>only *tasting* sweet, then this will only increase
>the cravings for sweets. And spoil your sense for food.
>Better never sweeten anything, its extremely unpaleo IMHO.

And here's my humble opinion.  I gave up pizza, Ben & Jerry's ice cream,
homemade bread, corn on the cob, potatoes, even the such paleo foods as like
bananas and pinapple which would cause an insulin rush.  Then I went paleo
and gave up dairy and peanut butter, which I love even more than dairy
foods.  I'm not complaining, but think about it; I've made MAJOR changes in
my diet.  I've also enjoyed MAJOR benefits.  But I like a tall, cool glass
of stevia-sweetened lemonade or a nice coconut milk pudding every once in a
while.  Apart from lightly sweetened drinks (lemonade, natural tea), a glass
of which I have once or twice a day, I have a sweet treat maybe twice a
week.  Two oranges in a week.  I feel no need to apologize for that.  And I
DON'T go on binges.  One helping and I'm happy as a clam.  I'm clearly doing
something right.

Dori