From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:09:38 -0500
On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Kenny Brown wrote:

> Todd,
> concerning the w3's, my only ideas are that the data
> is a non representative sample, or the data is just a
> misprint.  I have to agree with Hans and Ben here that
> commercial beef is higher than 2:1 w6:w3.
>
> If the ratio in game meat is 3-4:1 how could it be
> > 2:1 in grainfed cows?
> >
> Hans posted about five links to the PaleoDiet listserv
> where Loren Cordain responds to others and does in
> fact use the 15:1.  I'll post it again, but here I
> think he is refering to the overall diet, as Nicholson
> recently responded to here as well.

Yes, it is also my impression that he is referring to overall
diet.  I would like to agree with you and Hans and Ben as well,
but in the absence of specific information showing that the USDA
is wrong, I can't.  I have no better source of information at
this point.  Interestingly, the w6:w3 ratio for elk meat, which
is not grain-fed, is higher than the beef figure, at about 7:1,
but the overall fat content is much less.  For venison the ratio
is almost 6:1, but once again total fat content is rather low.

Now if you want a really high w6:w3 ratio, try pork, "composite
cuts".  The ratio is about 29:1.  But Oscar Mayer ham has one of
the best ratios, with *more* w3 than w6.

Todd Moody