From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:56:49 -0700
Brenda Young wrote:

> What are the reasons for doing the water fast???  There are many many days that I only eat one meal (I always drink a lot of water on a daily basis), which I thought was just terrible for my health.  No???

I don't think so.  I do know if you eat high-carb foods every 2-3 hours,
you will probably get yourself into a world
of hurt.  You are never free of insulin, which in the body is a
necessary evil if you eat carbs.  Most of the awful
side effects of diabetes are due to 1: high sugars alternating with 2:
high insulin.  Bad for you.

On the subject of fasting in general, some people think that fasting is
just wonderful; gives your digestive system a rest,, and if
you are suffering from unknown food allergies, you may feel lots better
for a day or two.  If you've been having cravings problems, often a
one-day fast resets your cravings so you can get back to sensible eating.

Other people say that when you fast, you are losing muscle since your
body needs to metabolize some protein and that's the only place it can
get it.  So it pulls it out of lesser-used muscles, and this is not
good.  Some people who have insulin resistance and high blood glucose
problems don't do well on the one-meal-per-day strategy; it sends their
sugars up.  But I doubt if you are in that situation.

Fasting is one of those things where you will get very strongly-held
opinions on both sides.  I was fasting to reset
my cravings and it worked for that.   I got convinced by the "losing
muscle" hypothesis, and decided I would stop
doing it.  I might change my mind next year.

>  PS  What does YMMV mean??

Your Mileage May Vary.  And that's really the trick for eating often, or
less often, fasting, or not fasting.
How do YOU feel when you follow any particular strategy? More energy,
less energy, more weight,
less weight, better digestion, worse digestion, better sleep, worse
sleep, and so forth.

    Lynnet