Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:21:04 -0800
I am staying at a place in California for an extended fast. By coincidence
the wife of the author of the China Study is here. So Mr. Campbell is here
quite frequently. This place advocates a vegan diet so he is a bit of a hero
here.

He gave a talk today about his research and book. He was going point by
point and I was speaking up about the irrelevancies of some of his
statements. Most of his research that showed animal products are bad come
from feeding rats casein. He kept saying that animal protein does this and
that and I would pipe up casein does that. He kept lumping all animal
protein in with casein. The empty headed vegans were nodding along.

It came to head when he talked about a science fair project that his son did
that used rats. He fed one group of rats a low protein diet and the other a
higher protein diet. The lower protein rats were frisky and running the
wheel the higher protein rats were less active and more listless. He and the
audience were chuckling about how amazed the teacher was. She couldn't
believe a low protein diet would get those results. At that point I spoke up
and said what does that have to do with anything. Of course you are going to
make the rats sick if you feed them casein. Rats don't eat milk in the wild.
The eat animal food they can find but they don't eat casein. He just sort of
sluffed off what I said.

To his credit he is a very nice man and didn't try to shut me up.

At that point I was tired of speaking up(I'm on the 17th day of a fast) and
I just asked a few questions during the presentation.

A few points. His study doesn't differentiate between types of animal
products. They didn't take into account the consumption of vegetable oil and
sugar for the urban people who had more animal product consumption and more
disease.

He did admit that he couldn't find any difference between a vegan diet and a
diet with up to 10% animal products..

His presentation gave a compelling argument for the avoidance of excess
dairy but that is about all.

-David