From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:24:35 -0700
> - Peanut Butter:  Peanuts are legumes, not nuts.  As
> such they are not paleo,
> and probably foreign proteins.   Also, like corn,
> peanuts frequently have
> "aflatoxins", which is monitored such that the
> product cannot be sold if the
> amounts rise above a certain level - but can be sold
> if the amounts are just
> below that level.   Switch to Almond Butter.

I dunno. I have a problem with this. The
classification "legumes" covers huge territory. There
are plenty of legumes edible in their raw state -
including peanuts. So, even though they are a new
world food, I would have to class them in the "maybe
OK if they don't give you problems" category... kind
of like tomatoes. After all, I can't see a
hunter-gatherer saying, "No son, that plant is a
legume. We don't eat legumes...."

http://mail.yahoo.com/