From:
"Mary E. Copeland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 17:38:05 -0400
Sara,
Feed her from the table, the same as the family eats.  Get a small hand
babyfood grinder for meats or use a blender.  A 13 month baby can eat most
of the things you eat - cooked vegetables, with or without grinding
depending on how soft, ground chicken, ground beef, fruits.  Put small
pieces of soft fruit or cooked veggies on her high chair tray and let her
pick them up (good for eye-hand coordination).  You can also mash with a
fork.  Don't be afraid of spices.  It gets them used to the family's
tastes.  I never used commercial baby food with my 3 kids.  It's one of
those Gerber myths that says a baby can't handle soft chunky food.  Heed
the usual warnings -- no egg white, shellfish, etc. until older.  By the
way, my baby's 22, so this is nothing new, and none of my kids was ever a
fussy eater.  Adele Davis was my source then.  Her books still make a lot
of sense.

Mary Copeland