From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 10:52:01 -0400
> Philip wrote:
>
> <<One supplement that paleodieters might consider is omega-3 fatty acid
> supplement (I take that) given difficiency in modern meat (so I am
told).>>

I have gotten tons of benefit from supplements. I had dry skin problems that
went away after I supplemented flaxseed oil and cod liver oil. I pulled back
from the oil and the problems came back.

Vitamin C has also resulted in a tangible benefit for me, especially in
diminution of my allergies which are still severe even on paleo (though much
better than they used to be on SAD).

I can't say I feel a big difference with A and D, but I take that in the
form of cod liver oil. I also take ground up bones in the form of hydroxy
apatite and chelated magnesium (at different meals), the former with the cod
liver oil, the latter with a B vitamin and extra B6. I find this prevents
cramping, and seems to make me feel better.

Paleo? No, but then it's impossible to truly duplicate a paleo diet anyway,
as I've said before, unless I were willing to eat lots of bugs, only grass
fed animals, brains and eyes and other organ meat, and tons of different
veggies that I can't even find in the store (grown in the wild and not on
factory farms of course.)

I think the total of it -- supplements and a close to paleo diet -- perhaps
adds to up the nutrients I would get in a truly paleo diet and is a
reasonable facsimile thereof.

But I am not religious about not taking medicine either -- I think there are
contributions that medicine offers. I take herbs sometimes for back pain or
if I get sick (I still get an occasional cold or flu, and after all, H-Gs
often died off when exposed to Western diseases so it isn't as if you are
immune from getting sick if you are a H-G).

--Richard