From:
"Ron Hoggan, Ed. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:26:46 -0700
Hi Ken,
Like many others on this list, my convictions about meats & fats are partly
the result of personal, practical experience. I know that when I rely on
fats as my primary source of energy, I lose a little weight, I breathe
easier, and I feel healthier. I can cite studies that report similar
findings, but I am less convinced by the studies than by the experience of
breathing better, being in better trim, finding exercise easier, feeling
less physical stress, etc., etc. I remain a little afraid that I've
misunderstood some things and that I'll suddenly drop dead prematurely or
that I'll suffer terribly from many painful fractures in my advanced years.
Either way, I'm afraid I'll regret my mistake terribly. Thus, Cordain's
interview raised some fears that I wasn't previously conscious of.

Every one of us who follows a diet that defies mainstream medical wisdom is
probably a little bit afraid that we are going down the wrong path. Most of
us know that the diet we are now eating makes us feel better and improves
some features of our health (weight loss, improved athletic performance,
improved cardio signs, etc). However, when one of the gurus in this area
says some things like Loren Cordain said in this interview, it is cause for
pause.

I know that it surprised me to read it. It took me a while to consider what
he said, collect my own thoughts, and realize that I wasn't persuaded by his
argument, and why I wasn't. While I think very highly of Dr. Cordain, he is
just one man with one set of insights. He is blinded by his own biases, just
as I am by mine. Unlike most of us on this list, he has to temper his
comments about the USDA's healthy eating guide, to avoid offending and
alienating large groups of colleagues and other professionals in and around
his field. (I think he has already experienced some of that.) He also
believes that we have passed the point of no return with our commitment to
cereal grains. Thus, he recommends eating 2-3 servings a day of
grain-derived foods despite knowing that many people are not genetically
equipped to eat as much as a single serving per day. While I don't agree
with Dr. Cordain's choices I can certainly see that he would be unable to
continue to work effectively if he stepped too far outside current
conventional beliefs on these issues.

Thus, I'll let him walk his political tight-rope but I won't subscribe to
something he says just because it is Dr. Cordain who said it.

I'm pleased you enjoyed my post.

Best Wishes,
Ron