From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:38:11 -0500
Thanks All For the Tips -- Your Input Has Been a Terrific Help!

And Thomas, you are correct, my hubby buys and cooks that junk himself.

As it turns out -- the diastolic was 20 points lower at his doc's office!
So maybe the blood drive setting freaked him out.   However, the doc would
like the systolic approx. 10 points lower ideally (but it's not
hypertensive now) -- and wants him to monitor several times a day for the
next few weeks and then for him to come in for a complete physical.  HUGE
RELIEF!  His doc looks to be about 5 months pregnant -- even my husband
mentioned this later -- so I doubt he'll be taking any dietary advice from
him very seriously.  Hubby says that if the blood tests show any
abnormalities, he'll go to my paleo doc for dietary advice etc.

I think the scare turned out to be a good thing because Miracle of
Miracles, he agreed that once he finishes up his current batch of junk
soups, processed meat -- he'll stop buying it. He also revealed that most
of the reason he doesn't read labels is because most of the time he can't
read that tiny print -- apparently his vision has been worsening.  He
didn't have any idea what most of the ingredients were in the junk he buys
ie fructose in salsa?!! Barf.  While his eye issues may be hereditary, I
explained that tons of sugar at EVERY MEAL isn't doing the vessels in his
eyes any favors.

Thomas -- you're probably right about my nagging.  But I do not nag in a
mommy/maternal way -- I don't have children by choice and I'm not the
maternal type -- I nag because I have no intention of being a nursemaid to
someone who gets sick because of their own actions.  We knew each other for
many years before getting married (he used to be married to my cousin) and
so he knows very well the self-inflicted poor health my parents and sibling
have suffered and that I have ZERO tolerance for people on kamikaze
missions.  My entire childhood and most of my adulthood was spent worrying
about other people's health. My obese mother suffered a stroke at a very
young age, was bedridden for 6 years and suffered the tortures of the
damned before dying.  The home health care virtually bankrupted my parents
and my father (nearly a decade older than my mother) still hasn't gotten
over her death.  My father says over and over again how he wished he had
taken himself in hand when he was a much younger man regarding his
diabetes -- but he was always thin and so he thought he could get away with
with eating whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.  He's now insulin
dependent and who knows what shooting himself up with that crap isn't doing
to his prostate cancer.

I'm certainly not saying someone has to be perfect all the time about their
eating/exercise habits -- BUT if a person get diabetes for instance and
continues to eat gobs of sugar and starch -- I simply have no sympathy for
them.  If someone smokes 2 packs of ciggies a day and gets lung issues -- I
can't muster much sympathy. etc etc  I know change is not easy and everyone
slips up, but what is intolerable to me is when a person doesn't even make
the attempt to change.  I would be satisfied with small changes ie stop
putting sugar in beverages, stop purchasing canned soup -- these are hardly
earth shattering changes to make.

So with respect to my husband who is already a decade older than me -- if
he is experiencing early signs of problems that are related to his diet
then he had better get his act together. I can't do it for him and I cannot
stick around and watch a kamikaze demise.  He freely admits to feeling like
crap after eating particularly junky meals -- and it's no fun having a
spouse who's up all hours with bowel issues that could easily be prevented.
Many of the posters on this forum have described how their intestinal
problems disappeared or were greatly reduced by simply cutting out grains.

Sorry to ramble so long -- just wanted to thank you all for your help and
suggestions.