From:
Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:10:17 -0600
According to Jared Diamond, the lower birth rate of HGs was
a result of economic necessity, implemented by means of
infanticide rather than by some physiological difference.

  I suppose some peoples did. An early form of birth control, how
interesting. They could have thought up other forms, like stoning. I know
some animals practice infanticide, but can you tell us if any other primates
do? I heard chimps do, but the females keep the males at bay. If it does
happen, it's more likely the alpha male, doesn't want the extra competition
around  Also, is the fertility of HG's the same as SAD's? Can't remember
where or what study had the comparison. I thought there was one done. There
was a transitional period between the primate to human stage, when the
menstruation cycle changed to what it is in humans today. That was caused by
birth canal size to infant head size, which led to a greater memory of food
sources which should lead to less economic necessity. Predators played a
part too. We have alot of young and dumb kids today that die every day. HG
kids got alot to learn before they can pass the rites of becoming an adult.
If HG's had as many kids as we do today, that would be alot of any one
woman's children killed. There had to be other things that kept tribes to
around 30-40 individuals. There's no logic to say that 2-3 kids out of 12 or
more should be able to live. HG women would have to be less fertile or able
to say no alot. Perhaps some of the Lady's on this list know of some info.
on this? All those woman taught me something!
     `