From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 02:33:23 -0700

>>>It hasn't been that severe a laxative for me. Also, so many of their
foods
>>>were high-fiber that I imagine they developed a good tolerance for these
>>>things.
>>

>>Hi Susan,
>>
>>I was under the impression that the laxative effect of flax is brought
about
>>in part by some chemical mechanism (in addition to it's high fiber
content),
>>because, again in my experience, a small amount seems to bring on a
>>gastrointestinal phenomenon that is disproportionate to its fiber content.
>
>Consumption of fish oil also tends to move the body towards a more laxative
end
>of the spectrum.
>
>So, it would seem more likely that it is the omega-3 content.
>
>Sears claims that the eicosanoid balance affects the constipation-laxative
>spectrum...

to say that food in themselves doesnt do anything  .Only the RELATIONSHIP
between a specific FOOD and a specific METABOLIC STATE  of an organism at a
specific MOMENT  can" make "a food "laxative "or not. Because i eat raw and
by instinct i never experienced a laxative effect of flax seed,
and i completly believe that flax seed can have this effect in a body in  an
other metabolic state(like somebody being not used to fiber in quantity...).
fruits are laxative to lot of people they are not too me. Even a very
powerful laxative like cassia fistula when i eat it in an instinctively
regulated manner doesn't give me diarrhea. Most people will experience
intense diarrhea with the same quantity than i eat. or even less.

It was important for me to not let pass this idea that food have inherent
quality  in itself. Paleodiet,  in my view,  is about the relationship
between a specific species (human) and the part of it's environment which
can  be integrated thru eating.
In the wild there is not so much variation from one individual to the next
than  we can observe in humans,  at the point where we are at. ( unbalanced
and not very much integrated to our environment)  I think it is not wise to
generalise too much about the specific effect of one food to every human.

And even if it is laxative to you in a specific experience, i will not
generalise to condemn this plant to all moment. In a specific metabolic
state or with a specific intestinal condition , a diarrhea migt be the most
healthfull job that a body can do at that moment.( better than staying
constipated for ex. or to renew an intestinal flora... )

Jean-claude