From:
Kimberly Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 19:27:09 -0700
I don't rush into cyberspace for information like some of you other savvy
folks (which is a polite way of asking if anyone knows of a website or two
on the subject).  My computer's too slow.  My information comes from books,
of which I have hundreds.  A recent publication called "Estrogen the Natural
Way", by Nina Shandler is based on her own research of studies performed
around the globe.  The references in the back of the book are what she used
to write the book.  Eight pages of studies regarding the phytoestrogens in
soy and flax seeds.  Not that you'd be interested in obtaining more
estrogen, Richard.  :)).  I just wonder how much flax seed is too much flax
seed.  Also, Nina's  flax seed bars and other recipes for flax include dried
fruit (small amounts per serving), and maple syrup.  Maple syrup is not in
Ray's book, is it?  Will a small amount throw me out of paleo?  I must tell
you that I'm having a terribly hard time sticking with this diet, anyway.  I
think I have to get my blood sugar checked.  Every time I try to avoid
carbs, I get shaky and weak.  I seem to also lose clear cognition at these
times.  I'm wondering if maple syrup, (as something on the paleo list?),
might provide me just enough natural carbs to halt the plummeting blood
sugar.  What do you think?

You can eat flaxseeds raw (within limits) so it's paleo according to Ray's
definition and that generally accepted on this list.

Dunno about it being an excellent way to increase hormones...can't see how
eating lots of a certain plant is going to do that. From the reading I've
done, I'd suggest certain brands of natural progesterone cream rather than
expecting to get female hormones from food.

--Richard