From:
"j.alford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 18:18:04 -0500
I've been lurking for months. Just coming out to pass on something I heard
in an anthropology course from a female professor. She warned all the women
in the class not to believe all that stuff about the contraceptive values of
breastfeeding. Yes, it does tend to slow down resumption of fertility, but
not by years. She said in hunter gatherer cultures where children are well
spaced, its because of taboos against resuming sexual relations before the
baby is weaned. Mama doesn't get pregnant again when she's not letting Daddy
have sex. And yes, this can mean as much as three years without sex.