From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:55:10 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Todd > I don't think there is *any* evidence that any amount of protein
>that a human being will consume under normal conditions is bad for the
>kidneys.
>
>Interesting.  Kidney and liver disorders and osteoporosis -- and
>overconsumption of saturated fat -- are the risks almost universally
>trumpeted by foes of high protein diets.
>
>So what is your opinion of high protein diets?

First, to my knowledge there is no evidence that high protein intake
causes kidney disorders, liver disorders, or osteoporosis.  But I agree
that such claims, as well as claims about the evils of saturated fat,
are trumpeted by foes of high protein diets.  But trumpeting is not
evidence.  There *is* evidence that saturated fat consumption can cause
LDL cholesterol levels to increase, but it has not yet been demonstrated
that elevated LDL plays a causal role in atheroslcerosis--despite a lot
of trumpeting.  There are claims that saturated fat consumption
increases insulin resistance, and although there is *some* evidence in
support, the overall picture is far from clear.  But the original point
was about protein, and there's simply no evidence that eating animal
protein causes harm.

I don't have a general opinion of high protein diets, since that term
only describes one aspect of a diet.  It depends on what else is going on.

Todd Moody