From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:29:50 -0400
Dori Zook wrote:
> Here's some of what the story source (Dr. Ron Rosedale, Colorado Center
for
> Metabolic Medicine) has to say:
>
> good fats - olive oil, nut oils, especially macadamia, avacado oil
>
> You'll notice these are mostly unsaturated.  The focus of the story was
> weight loss.  His theory (he admits it's just that but says it works) is
> that saturated fat (animal saturated fat, at least) is what you're trying
> lose, so don't eat it.

My problem with this is that it involves a lot of lipids that peroxidize,
unstable by definition, and I cannot see how this is healthy. Too much w3,
w6 and w9 fatty acids are unstable. I don't think we were meant to have
excessive amounts of PUFAs, so what is the alternative? MUFA and SFAs.

I think a lot of researchers succomb to the "saturated fat is bad" mantra
even though the facts seem to suggest otherwise -- that satfat is rather
neutral for most people. The researchers have too much trouble bucking the
trend, after all they are people too and it is hard for people to be
pariahs.

--Richard