From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 19:24:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/99 10:31:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:
B. Lischer wrote:

>  Around the turn of the century, new technology made inexpensive grain and
>  sugar refining possible for the first time in history.

Thats what I understand.

 Along with these
>  changes came the invention of artificially saturated oils (trans fats).
>  Before the turn of the century, doctors saw nearly no heart disease as we
>  know it.

Exactly.

 Later in the century, I think during WWII, autopsies of young
>  American men killed in battle in their early twenties revealed the
beginings
>  of atherosclerotic lesions in their arteries.  As far as I know, this is a
>  condition that does not exist, even in its early stages, among middle-aged
>  and elderly modern foragers, not to mention those in their twenties.

Right.  So why are we going so far back to find health?  I don't know the
numbers, but I would venture to guess that the same holds true for cancer
and stroke.  We've had health a lot more recently than paleo times.  I've
read many books on paleo eating.  I still don't know why we have to go
back so far. Based on the above, we were ok before the turn of the
century....

I'll ask again. Does anyone have any numbers on the incidence of cancer,
stroke, and heart disease (to name a few), in the last several thousand
years?

( By the way, I am collecting the references and names of the groups I
was referring to in past postings, it'll take a couple days).

Thanks,
Anna L. Abrante