From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:48:11 -0700
>> - Peanut Butter:  Peanuts are legumes, not nuts.  As
>> such they are not paleo,
>
>I dunno. I have a problem with this. The
>classification "legumes" covers huge territory. There
>are plenty of legumes edible in their raw state -
>including peanuts. So, even though they are a new
>world food, I would have to class them in the "maybe
>OK if they don't give you problems" category... kind
>of like tomatoes. After all, I can't see a
>hunter-gatherer saying, "No son, that plant is a
>legume. We don't eat legumes...."

Hey, thanks, Wally! I was thinking something along the same lines. Are
legumes all poisonous? Or are they all techno? What about sweet peas, the
flower? Surely there might have been something like these that got picked
and nibbled on, like a snow pea pod. And with peanuts we are consuming an
underground nodule on the root; is this a seed? And if so, how is it worse
than a fruit seed or nut?

And should all New World foods be ineligible? The foods themselves may have
been around, even if there were no hominids to eat them. If there had been,
would they have eaten them, along with yams and nopales? ...Not to mention
Solanaceae. Nobody said anything about eggplants yet.

I gotta go do some legume research...

ginny and Tomo, who eats p.b. with his supplements hidden in: "Chunky
style, please..."

All stunts performed without a net!