From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:47:05 -0400
>Question:  How much fruit (pick one) does it take to make a level
>teaspoonful of pure crystaline fructose sugar?  It is possible to eat
>enough fruit in one sitting to absorb the amount of fructose it took in
>the above mentioned studies to CAUSE the arthrogenic effects or the
>hypertriglyceridemia seen in those studies?

An excellent question, and not one I'm prepared to answer, although I could
put a little research into it if the interest is serious.  It shouldn't be
all that hard to answer

I will point out that if one is eating a diet in which fruit makes up a
majority of the calories, it may well be enough to have this effect.  It
strikes me as quite plausible that if someone were following a paleodiet
lacking beans, grains, dairy, alcohol, vinegar, peanuts, and most prepared
food sources, it would be much easier to make fruit the bulk of one's daily
calories than for most people eating a more standard diet.  It would be
even easier to do this if one were afraid of arachidonic acid and was
therefore avoiding beef and beef fats.

There are actually people out there, "fruitarians" they call themselves,
who are an offshoot of vegetarianism, and who eat absolutely nothing but
fruit.  I am skeptical as to whether anyone could maintain this for more
than a few weeks without getting in some decent source of protein, but
there are actually people attempting this and advocating it as a healthy
lifestyle.

There's also the fact that a lot of paleodieters like dried foods.  Dried
fruit is VERY calorie dense; it would be extremely easy for me to eat
several ounces of dried bananas and apricots, and I would expect that to be
very calorie dense.

Furthermore, many paleodieters consume and openly recommend fruit juices.
Which are quite calorie dense and very easy to consume in large quantities.

I suspect that it would not be hard at all for me to eat a a majority of my
daily calories from fresh and dried fruits and fruit juices and not even
realize I was doing it, if I wasn't paying attention.  Or I might even get
a hair on and think that that's a healthy way to eat, and do it on purpose.

Note that I'm not suggesting that your average paleodieter is at serious
danger from fruit.  I don't think it's rational to suggest that a couple of
apples and a banana or two are a problem.  I don't even think that if once
in a while you go out and pig out on a bunch of mangos and cherries and
strawberries and etc. you're going to have a problem either.  But unusually
high, ongoing intake of fruits, most especially dried fruits, seems like a
distinct possibility for some paleodieters, and may not be healthy.

Most especially I was making the point that if someone turns up with poor
lipid profiles after a few weeks on a paleodiet, before jumping to the
conclusion that arachidonic acid in the diet must be the culprit, it would
be sensible to also look carefully at fruit consumption.  If one is using
fruit juices or dried fruits especially, it's VERY easy to get in a LOT of
fructose.

I'll look into the fructose amounts in question if anyone is genuinely
interested.

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay