From:
"Paula H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 13:20:41 -0400
Adrienne,  I have found my parents to be the same - if the doctor says it,
it is THE TRUTH.

When my father was dying of lung cancer I tried to get him to go paleo with
no sugars, but he refused.  He actually craved and ate high sugar food
products when he had cancer although he had never had a predilection for
sweets before.

My mother had by pass surgery in December, and she is just like my father
when it comes to my advice versus her doctor's.  So, you are not alone.  I
think my parents' generation were taught to accept doctors as major
authority figures - like gods.

It is sad, and I am so glad that my generation is more willing to question
and search for "new" answers - like paleo!

Paula H.

My father was thin all his life yet got Type II in his early 40s.  When he
was first diagnosed, conventional medicine told diabetics to meticulously
count carbs. He did so, never needed insulin and remained slim until the
American Diabetic Association began parroting the food pyramin hogwash and
pushing 3 (or more) starch units PER MEAL!  <SNIP>   He said he asked his
doc about low carb and the doc said that "nonsense" is old fashioned.
<SNIP>