From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:24:45 -0500
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:07:30 -0600, Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Should we consider the Omega ratio by itself, without regard for absolute,
>total amounts of fats consumed?

It's not the total amount of fats,
but the influence of the main fat classes SFA MUFA PUFA, that counts.
A high total amount of fat works positive by lowering the time when insulin
is up. Insulin promotes bad prostaglandins (that's the Sears approach of
today).

The main effect of omega *ratios* is it's effect on the prostaglandin
synthesis. If there are too few omega-3 FAs in the diet they can't be
elongated and have a positive effect.

High LA (w-6) suppresses by competition the work of w-3 fats.
Likewise high OA suppresses by competition (for the enzymes d6d d5d etc)
the work of w-3 fats (and all EFAs).
OA is a MUFA.
SFAs work by beeing converted to MUFA and then doing the bad competition.
In addition they are listed to diminish EFA activities at the d6d stage,
like other factors too (trans-fats, alcohol, sugar).

Beef fat alone is so so high in OA that it totally suppresses EFA activity,
according to one study (and according to the competition thought).
Pig fat is better because it has *more* SFA than MUFA.
Dairy fat (butter) has a very good w-3/6 ratio but even smaller EFA
percentages. *this* is why I mentioned flax and hemp.

I've made a w-3/w-6 list which takes the competition and the better working
of long chain EFAs into account. Alas it's some 500k at
http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/PG_weighted.html

According to these thoughts my priority of health list is like this:
1.no trans fats, or other d6d toxins
2.no excess insulin (means lowering carbs,
  particularly for insulin resistant)
3.a proper w-3/w-6 ratio (means avoiding safflor, sunflower without flax)
4.enough of w-3 , EPA beeing very much better than simple LNA
5.enough of total EFAs, compared to total fat

What do you other fat enthusiasts think about my list?

If all this works well on ones prostaglandins, then the
effect of EFAs on cell walls come into account.
Feeding back onto priority 2 of my list as far as high SFA/low EFA can
increase insulin resistance.

Amadeus Schmidt