From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:46:46 -0500
Dori Zook wrote:

> Hey, Todd!  I remember seeing one 'expert' or another who says
> slooooow reps
> are all that and a bag o' chips, that just a few slow reps do more than
> several times more at normal speed.  What's your opinion?  How much
> weight
> training and mild cardio should I do to make a difference in your
> opinion?
> Just renewed my gym membership.

I'm no bodybuilder but the slow rep idea makes a lot of sense to me.
When you do slow reps, the muscle is continuously being challenged (and
no "unloading" between reps), so that when you finish a set, the actual
time under load is probably greater than multiple sets done the usual
way.  In the end I think it's time under load that matters, and the slow
reps *feel* like they dig right into the core of the muscle.  I think
when you're doing sloooooow reps once a week is enough, but twice might
be okay.  It's pretty excruciating, even though the workout is over
quickly.  Did you see the 48 Hours segment on Leslie Stahl?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/20/48hours/main584762.shtml

Todd Moody