From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:16:24 -0500
Hi,

the last days I read National Geographic, german edition and I saw
fascinating paintings from the chauvet cave.
This reminded me that I had such a link on my little internet site
and the original site was enhanced now:

The a nice virtual visit to chauvet cave is at
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/index.html

This cave from about 35000bc is one of the very oldest, and was created
shortly after the paleolithic man came into the colder norther area.
Which was about 40000 to 30000bc for our own trait, anatomically modern
humans.
You can see horses, bears, rhinoceros, panther, megaceros, footprints ...
I'd like to visit the cave some time.

National geographic said it was unlikely these animals were on the menu
card of humans that time. Panthers and bears beeing rather dangerous
animals.
The drawings must have had some magic background.
Or art creativity. Real (upper) paleolithic creativity.

My Netscape had problems with the site. I had to use msie.
Enjoy.

Amadeus