From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:20:46 -0500
An update on my "heart condition."  Remember that this whole thing
started with a routine physical, my first in 20 years, at which my
doctor noticed an irregularity to my heartbeat.  He said that it was
"probably nothing," but sent me to a cardiologist just to make sure.  I
did a stress echo test - and did it very well I might add!  The
cardiologist found "nothing diagnostic" but gave me a prescription for
two drugs: Toprol and (the second name escapes me) citing my "slightly
larger than normal" heart size (a condition obviously different from the
arrhythmia I was originally in there for).

Here's the update.  After that first visit and after more research, I've
told the cardiologist three things:  1) I'm not taking the drugs; 2) I
eat a diet heavy in saturated fat; and 3) I do high intensity weight
training twice a week.  The last two - my diet and exercise regimens --
really freaked him out.  Without having seen the results of any blood
test (I'll post 'em in a minute,) he said both that I'd have to go on a
low fat diet and that I'd have to give up the weight training
*immediately* as it's just not good for someone with my "condition."  I
tried to explain to him that the research I'd done clearly showed that
high intensity training will increase heart size, but he'd have none of
it.  And he'd have nothing of my reminder that I'd demonstrated what his
nurse called a "remarkable" fitness on the treadmill in his office.  I
did not try to explain any further my diet.  (He'd really freaked out if
he'd found out that the "light meal" I was supposed to have consumed the
morning of my treadmill test was a hearty T-bone steak!)

Anyway, I got the blood test results back yesterday:

Total Cholesterol: 209

LDL: 107

HDL: 90

Ratio: 2.3