From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:17:55 -0400
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 07:04:20 +1000, Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>In UK, there were several 100,000s of deaths from mad cow disease.

>I'd like to point out that that's 100,000s of cattle deaths.
>
>Around 70 people are thought to have died from CJD in the
>last 5 years.

That's true, of course.
Such a kind of mass killing on humans ... would reach the rates at which
cardiovascular diseases kill people (about 40% of all deaths).

Mad cow disease is a big media spectaculum based on a animal epidemic
with only a *very* weak killing rate among people.

Strange enough few people speak about the connections of CVD to food.
CVD is almost unknown among hunter/gatherer populations.
And it has really strong connections to food secured in studies.
Kills 100,000s.

>More people die from eating wheat.

Could you elaborate in which way wheat would kill people?

It must be the main reason of death in the last 6000 years up to the year
1800 then. Because in this time people ate predominantly wheat or other
cereals.

> ...Richard.

  ...Amadeus.