From:
Kimberly Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:37:16 -0700
Well, you see, I'm with Madeline, even though I've pretty much sailed
through the process myself.  I added (in prevous comments) that I'm not
totally certain about the use of plant estrogens, but I said that only
pertaining to me.  For those women who require assistance, I lean more
toward the natural remedy than the synthetic one.  I think that paleo women
obtained these plant hormones naturally because they were already in their
diets by default.  Furthermore, we really don't know what paleolithic women
endured.  Most likely, many of them died before getting to menopause.  But
we neoliths live longer, and we start our lives on the bad diet track,
throwing us into imbalances from which we may never recover.  So, for those
women who require hormonal assistance, plants are better than HRT in my
book.  Although this doesn't sound like a paleo issue, it really is.
Hormones do more than regulate menstruation.  Perhaps we can find a way to
boost our hormones and keep them in balance using paleo foods.  What a boone
to those women, and men, who require it.  Finally, wouldn't be nice if we
could be as in touch with the requirements of our bodies as our ancestors.
I can imagine those females doing what my animals do without knowing why:
that is, simply going into the woods, finding the plant, and eating it,
without thought and prejudice about its potential value as a source of
vitamins, minerals, and hormones.

"We have our arts; the ancestors had theirs...We cannot raise obelisks a
hundred feet high in a single piece, but our meridians are more exact."
Voltaire

Menopause is not a disease.....it does not "require"
treatment....it is a natural process of the female body.