From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:20:04 -0800
I'm in the same situation. I've very happy so far following the Cordain
version, but I do wonder why potatoes and yams are off the diet. It seems to me
likely that roots and tubers were a very good candidate for the paleo diet. You
can dry them for one thing and use them all winter. And you can cook them by
just burying them in the hot coals. In the case of potatos cooked that way, you
would discard the burned outer shell, thus getting around the problem of
undesirable things in the skins. In the Kitava study
(http://www.paleodiet.com/lindeberg/) "tubers" were a major part of
hunter-gatherer tribes in New Guinea. It doesn't say, but I assume that means
yams. A little starchy carbohydrate would have provided some of the punch
needed for sudden bursts of energy used to chase/kill prey.

John B