From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 19:51:13 -0700
>At 12:11 PM 5/21/99 -0500, Kathryn wrote:
>
>from  "The Complete German Commission E Monographs Therapeutic
>>Guide to Herbal Medicines."
>>Actions:  Laxative effects due to increase in volume and consequent
>>initiation of intestinal peristalsis due to stretching reflexes.
>>Protective effect on the mucosa because of coating action.
>
>Sounds like a laxative to me!
>
>A point to Bernard, I think.
>
>I use about 1 tsp. of flaxseed a day, when I eat it, chewing well.
>
>Susan

Ha!!  Adavantage Bernard!!  No, really... the above quote actually seems to
atribute flax's  laxative effect to fiber bulk ("volume"), unless by
"volume" it means some kind of chemically induced hydration in the bowel
(added water = more volume).  High fiber alone, and the resulting increase
in bowel transit time, would be common among "paleo" foods.  I don't know.
My gut feeling is that the w-3 thing, or some other chemical mechanism, has
more to do with it than the fiber.  By the way, I'm still wondering where
flax came from... it's probably a minor issue, but out of curiosity... does
anyone know?

B. Lischer